Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Sad Goodbye

The word "bittersweet" pretty well sums up how I've been feeling the past two weeks. I'm excited and ready to move on to new things, but the desire to stay here with the people I've grown to love is making it hard to leave.

I don't have a lot of friends to say goodbye to. In fact there are no more than five that I do anything with on a remotely regular basis. This doesn't bother me; I kind of prefer it that way, but there are still many others I'm having a hard time telling goodbye. There is one, though, that stands out above the rest. Her name is Lacy.

Lacy and I have worked at the same store for exactly one year now. I still hardly know her, but over this past month we've begun talking and have developed something that could maybe pass as a friendship. The thing that makes this unique is that Lacy is a pretty girl. I've always had a hard time talking to pretty girls, but with her it wasn't that hard. She was fun to talk to and in the beginning it came pretty easy.

As time went by I started liking her, and I think she liked me too. I wanted to get to know her better but I knew I would soon be leaving, so I was afraid to get any closer to her. When the day came for me to put in my two weeks notice I knew I needed to tell her. When I did I could see the shock of sadness hit her face. She tried to hide it, and she did a good job. But it was there nonetheless. And when my last day rolled around I could hear a hint of sadness in her voice.

It killed me to know I was hurting her, even if was only a little bit. I hate leaving just as I was beginning to get to know her. It's unlikely anything would have come from it, but I still wish I knew her more.

No comments: